A program to strengthen the work of the district in supporting our congregations through financial contributions. You can donate easily and securely online
There is definitely a great deal at stake for all of us in this life, in this complicated world in which we live. In one way or another, almost all of us are forced to cope with hatred, bigotry, unfairness, harshness, bullying, intolerance, lack of kindness and ignorance. Unfortunately, dealing with such things has become a common aspect of life for too many people. There is too much misunderstanding, too much pain, too much failure to stop and think: How does that make someone feel? How will this impact someone's life? What is really happening here and what can we do to change it?
There are no easy, perfect solutions, but your Ohio-Meadville District and Unitarian Universalism overall are committed to addressing many of these troubling factors and trying to make people wake up, realize what is really going on, and take a stand for what is right! OMD performs many important acts of work, and increasingly significant among them is our social justice activity. The theme of this past June's General Assembly in Phoenix was social justice, and it was a huge success. This event, which focused significantly on the immigration-related issues in Arizona among other matters, drew broad attention to many problems and illustrated how UUs step up and take action to support what they believe.
You may not even realize all of the social justice-related activity that goes on at the District level -- as well as in many of your own congregations and clusters. As we celebrate the theme of "Standing on the Side of Love," let's review some of the ways in which the OMD truly makes a difference in our world:
- Planning a major summit on immigration that will involve politicians, national and local activists, faith leaders and others to address the wide range of issues related to acceptance, inclusiveness and tolerance of those who enter our nation;
- Having a program coordinator who focuses significant time and effort on social justice issues;
- Helping to initiate an Ohio-wide state advocacy network similar to the UUPLAN efforts in Pennsylvania;
- Sending flyers, banners and other materials to churches that are participating in gay pride events;
- Participating in efforts like FaCT (Faith Communities Together) to provide education about energy fracking;
- Supporting Pittsburgh-area congregations that are leaders in the Pennsylvania Interfaith Impact Network (PIIN), which brings together persons from many faith communities as well as politicians, educators, social service representatives and others to address a host of pressing matters.
As you can surely tell, much is being done ... and much more CAN be done and MUST be done. But such efforts require your special support -- not only in terms of spirit and hands-on involvement, but also financial assistance through the OMD Friends annual campaign. All of these worthwhile efforts, and many others, need and deserve your support -- at whatever level is right for you -- if they are to continue to grow, prosper and truly make a difference. There is no time like the present to ensure that great strides can continue to be made to support our congregations in their social justice efforts. Here are just a few examples of how YOUR support will provide such assistance at a range of levels:
- A $30 gift will purchase a social justice book for the OMD Library that can be borrowed by our congregations;
- A $75 donation will buy special social justice curricula that can be borrowed and circulated;
- A $150 gift will enable us to obtain an additional "Standing on the Side of Love" banner that can be shared with congregations that are participating in gay pride events;
- A $300 gift will provide a partial scholarship for attendance at the Youth Appalachian Service Learning Experience;
- A $400 donation will provide a congregation or cluster with a full day's workshop with a consultant on social justice issues.
If you desire, we will be glad to recognize your gift of $75 or more with an OMD Tote Bag ... donations of $150 or more qualify you for a beautiful pewter chalice lapel pin. Please see the enclosed card for details. You may also respond online by visiting www.ohiomeadville.org/friends. We would like to hear from you by February 1st.
Won't you please join us in "Standing on the Side of Love" and extend your generous support to the OMD Friends annual campaign? We thank you in advance for your thoughtful generosity!
If you would like to receive these notices via email, please contact the district office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yours in thanks and peace,
OMD Resource Development Team
West Shore UU Church
OMD Resource Development Team
UU Church of the South Hills
PO Box 157
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
Please know that all donations you make will positively impact our congregations here in the Ohio-Meadville District and strengthen Unitarian Universalism in our region. Your donation works for the future of all of us.
Want more information first? Email the OMD Office your request for more information. Someone from someone from the OMD Staff or the OMD Resource Development Team will be in touch.