This is a summary of the board minutes from the board retreat on June 14, 2009. If you have questions about any of the items mentioned, please contact a board member. Please note that items voted on are led by ***
You can download a pdf copy of this summary by clicking here.
Present: Charlie Applebaum, Debra Boyd, Rose Edington, Ward Kelsey, Bill Millikin, Phil Reed, Joan Sabatino, Kathie Slater, Martha Engberg, Lukus McDowell, Beth Casebolt*, Joan Van Becelaere* (* denotes non-voting, ex-officio members)
Absent: Sam Hens-Greco, Brad Taylor, Karen Zoller, Pat Solomon*, Karen Lapedius
**Joan S moves that we approve a change of address to the Articles of Incorporation to 120 N. Market Street, St. Clairsville, OH 43950. The motion was seconded. Passed unanimously.**
Joan reported about the Young Adult position. This is a position is a stipend position, with partial UUA funding that will terminate at the end of FY 2010. Therefore, the position will be a treated as a contact position at the discretion of the DE. There is a potential person with extensive experience who needs additional time to complete his seminary experience requirements. If additional funds are needed for travel, we will find them.
The Youth Position is being reorganized. Erin will be doing adjunct work to do the weekend youth experience program. Karen will be taking over the other duties with additional time & pay. The move is budget neutral.
Both transitions were discussed with Executive Committee since these actions were initiated after the last board meeting.
Going forward we will want to look at bringing these positions back in an expanded version.
Beth clarified in her report that we are changing the communication channels. Starting with July 1, we will have OMD Now which will come out on the first of every month and replaces the Congregational Packet. On the 15th of every month, we will have a focused feature article/newsletter that looks at a particular topic each month. Ongoing news from congregations is going directly to the website. The DE will be sending a weekly digest to leaders regarding the District.
Phil was contacted by Sam on Thursday, June 11, 2009 asking to resign. We accepted the resignation & will be appointing a new member at the August meeting. Phil in conjunction will Exec and Staff be soliciting a new board member to serve the remaining 2 years of Sam's term.
Ward presented some financial information. We are projecting a small gain for FY 2009. On the balance sheet, the investment changes that were approved at the last meeting are reflected and the investment has actually grown since we made the initial purchase.
Schedule of meetings:
- August 8, 10-4 (Belleville first choice)
- October 15, conference call 7-9pm (may be moved to 8-10)
- December 12, 10-4
- January 30, 10-4
- June Retreat, 1st or 2nd weekend in June.
**Kathie presented a modified covenant. Rose moved that we accept the revised Board Covenant. It was seconded. It was accepted unanimously.**
We, the Ohio-Meadville District Board, come together in faith to envision possibilities, enable action for our communities, and respect and empower our professional and lay leaders. We pledge to be good stewards of District resources and engage our membership to foster spiritual and congregational growth. In accepting these responsibilities, we covenant to:
- Listen deeply and speak honestly
- Be prepared, thorough, and candid in our commitments
- Respect & allow space for diverse points of view and working styles
- Encourage risk-taking and innovation by the board and within the District
- Be forgiving
- Practice self-care
- Work towards consensus
- Have hard conversations
- Speak with one voice
Finally, we pledge to take our roles, and not ourselves, seriously and leave time for fun and fellowship.
Joan and Beth presented the following policy changes:
- OMDA Office keeps the official calendar of the OMD and updates it as events and activities are scheduled. This calendar is published in District Doings, in the Congregational Packet, on the District website, and is available on request from the OMDA Office. Potential dates for activities should be checked with the OMDA Office. No OMD activities are to be scheduled that conflict with the OMDA District Assembly. (Delete strikethrough portion)
- Minutes, including action items, shall be distributed to Board members as soon as possible after meetings. Corrected minutes shall be posted to the website sent to committee chairs, members of OMD UUMA Chapter, District staff, and member congregations and made available upon request. (add italics, delete strikethrough)
6.3.5 - Committees may submit material for inclusion in OMD Now District Doings, The Congregational Packet, and the OMD Website and email lists as appropriate. (add italics, delete strikethrough).
- The OMDA Office shall publish the District Calendar of Events; maintain the OMD website; the District Directory; District Doings, the Congregational Packet OMD UpClose, OMD Now; event brochures; the Annual Report; and the agenda for the OMDA District Assembly. The Office shall provide additional information on OMDA and UUA resources upon request. (Delete strikethrough, add italics)
6.5.5 Materials for submission in District Doings should be clearly identified as such and sent to the OMDA Office. (delete entire section)
**Charlie moved that the changes be accepted as submitted. The motion was seconded & the motion passed.**
**Ward presented the UUA Fair Compensation Ranges for Geo Index 3. Based on Joan's salary we targeted the pay ranges for the Mid-Sized I for the rest of the OMD staff. Debra moved that we accept that we use Geo Index 3 Mid-Sized I for our guidelines. Charlie seconded. Unanimously accepted.**
**Charlie moves to accept Beth's recommendation for liaison/cluster assignments. See below. Phil requested that liaisons establish contact with liaison congregation and ask about having the congregation complete the survey on-line. Second was heard. Passed unanimously.**
- Phil Reed, President (4/10)
- Committees: Nominating Committee
- Congregations: West Shore, Cleveland Society, Shaker Heights
- Kathie Slater - Vice-President (4/10)
- District Assembly Planning Team
- Debra Boyd - Secretary (4/11)
- Congregations: Columbus, Lewis Center, Delaware, Reynoldsburg
- Ward Kelsey - Treasurer (4/11)
- Committees: Finance Committee
- Congregations: First Pittsburgh, North Hills
- Charles Applebaum (4/12)
- Congregational Liaisons: Lyons, Toledo, Bowling Green, Findlay, Sandusky
- Rev. Rose Edington (4/12)
- Congregational Liaisons: Charleston, Huntington, Beckley, Marietta, Athens, Morgantown
- TBA (4/11)
- Congregational Liaisons: Jamestown, Erie (Oil City), Meadville, Girard, Ashtabula, Kirtland
- Bill Millikin (4/11)
- Congregational Liaisons: Bellville, Westfield Center, Wooster, Berea, Olmsted
- Rev. Joan Sabatino (4/10)
- Congregational Liaisons: Indiana, Ligonier, Slippery Rock, Youngstown
- Brad Taylor (4/10)
- Congregational Liaisons: Akron, Kent, Canton, Warren, Oberlin, Urban Hope
- Karen Zoller (4/10)
- Congregational Liaisons: Murrysville, South Hills, Smithton, Bellaire, Pittsburgh - Allegheny
- Committee Liaison: Social Justice Transformation Team
YAC Liaisons to the Board, they are liaisons to the Youth Adult Committee.
- Lukas McDowell
- Martha Engberg
Board Projects were assigned as below.
Phil did a final reading.
OMD Board Secretary