This is a summary of the board minutes from the board meeting on February 9, 2008. If you have questions about any of the items mentioned, please contact a board member. Please note that items voted on are led by ***
You can download a pdf copy of this summary by clicking here.
District Executive Report (see printed report)
- Joan V. proposed the creation of a District Development Team to oversee fundraising, district dues, chalice lighters, and other financial needs. The board agreed to have Joan create this group.
- Joan V. proposed that the district board consider a creating a district ministerial intern program. John Martin would be the intern for this year, and would provide the district with assistance and resources around multicultural and diversity issues. This does not require a financial commitment beyond travel expenses. The board agreed to try this program this year.
- Committee Liaisons were assigned for the year.
- A task force of Karen Z, Phil and Beth H was created to look at our committee structure and make recommendations to the board by June.
- Safety Policy Enforcement at committee-sponsored events and programs – Committees need to promote childcare at district events and they must adhere to the safety policy. If folks need help with this, please contact Karen L.
Long Range Planning Report
- The committee has met. See the written report.
- The committee feels that they need to increase the district identity before discussion on the long range plan can be tackled, which will push the timeline back to an 18 month to 2 year process. The board supports the identity group moving ahead on this work.
- The board was updated on the status of the Youth Ministries Consultant search.
- District Administrator Job Description –
**Karen Z. moved that we accept the job description for the OMD District Administrator as presented, seconded by Brad, motion carried, Beth C. abstained.**
- District Administrator Position – It was decided to accelerate the search process, with a Sept 15 application deadline and the new start date will be Nov. 1. At that time Mary Huffman will be given medical leave until her retirement on Jan. 1
- Fair Compensation – There aren't any guidelines for the districts at this time. Mary L will talk to Glenn and then will send out his information to the board.
- Four District LFD Update – This is currently on hold. The person who was to co-ordinate that position is now the acting DE for Metro NY. Joan V. will be meeting with that group at the end of August.
**Mary L moved that we give Toni White our bookkeeper authorization to discuss and access information on our accounts without being a signatory on the accounts. Kathie seconded. Motion carried. **
Finance Committee Recommendations
**The finance committee recommends that we up to $20,000 from the GIF fund. This is to cover this year's budget shortfall and to provide for budgeted operating expenses. Motion carried. **
**The finance committee recommends that we begin a quarterly withdrawal from the GIF Fund for operating expenses beginning December 2007. This amount should be limited to 5.5% of the portfolio's market value averaged over the last 12 quarters or lifetime of the fund, whichever is shorter. Motion carried.**
**The finance committee recommends that additional withdrawal from the GIF fund of $25,500 to pay for the Office Administrator's Retirement package. This will be withdrawn on December 31, 2007. Motion carried.**
**The finance committee recommends that there are a limited number of people that can sign contracts and approve check requests for deposits that obligate the OMD, namely: District Executive (preferred); one of the four officers of the OMD board; only one signature is required for up to $5000, and over $5000 there are two signatures required, one of which must be the president; this would apply to all OMD committees as well as the board. All contracts and facility deposits are to be filed in the District Office and copies to the bookkeeper. Motion carried.**
**The Finance Committee recommends that all OMD events return to the OMD an Administrative Cost Support fee of $5.00 per person per day (13 yrs and older). This fee will cover costs of services provided such as: communications including web postings, contract administration, bookkeeping services, bill paying, telephone support and other staff activities that result in operating experiences for the OMD. This fee is expected to take effect for all events after 1/1/08. These fees will be used to offset budgeted operating expenses. Fees may be waived by the District Executive. Motion carried.**
**The Finance Committee recommends that the OMD establish an Event Scholarship Fund for committees and events that will accumulate any excess of income over expenses for events. This will be a co-mingled fund that any participating committee may make a request to the district staff for specific purposes. An exception is for Summer Institute where excess of income over expenses will be accounted separately for their own usage. Motion carried.**
Establishing Goals for the Year
One year goals for this year.
- Establish the Development Team (Joan)
- Implement intern program (Joan)
- Get Youth Ministries and Office Administrator integrated by Jan. 1
- To assist the Akron cluster in planning a junior high cluster event (Karen)
- To have the leadership development committee create a plan for how to address leadership 101 training in the district (Joan/LDC)
- Plan for District group restructuring (June 2008)
- Have an AR/AO conversation with the board (June 2008)
- District Identity (Jan. 2008)
- Study expansion of YACM hours based on development
- Increase the Chalice Lighter's list to at least 400 participants (June 2008)
- The board and staff will facilitate one cluster activity in at least one less active cluster (Wooster in February)
Chalice Lighter's Request from Canton
**Mary L moved that we accept the Canton church's chalice lighter's grant. Seconded by Kathie. Motion carried, Brad abstained. **
- Exec. Committee recommends that we not consider changing venues for at least one more year and that we look for a congregation to host DA in 2009.
- The District Assembly Task Force presented their report and updates on the status of this year's planning.
Award for Work with Children and Youth
**Phil moved that we accept the award as presented and Kathie seconded. Motion passed. **