A monthly roundup of news, events, dates and deadlines of the Ohio-Meadville District
In This Issue
- OMD Staff Changes
- Vacation Time!
- Current Chalice Lighter Call
- Summer Institute
- Young Adult Events
- Youth Events
- For Your Fall Calendar
- Webinar Schedule & On-Demand Learning Center
- Congregational & In-District News
- CERG News and Events
- UUA & National News & Events
Welcome to the June edition of OMD Now!. For individual information, flyers and details, click the links in each article. Want to share one of your events with the district congregations? Send it to the OMD Office to be included in the July edition. Deadline is June 30th.
- GA - Attending GA? Please join us for the CERG Ingathering Wednesday night. Staying home? Don't miss a thing - watch plenary, the Ware Lecture, Sunday Worship and more on the web at www.uua.org/ga. Why not consider hosting a congregational or cluster watching party?
- Need Resources? Check out the Church of the Larger Fellowship (CLF). Their latest offering is their Bridge Building Kit for congregations who want to work with veterans and wish to suppor the troops, but don't support the war. Information at www.clfuu.org or contact Lorraine Dennis at email@example.com. Check out their other resources as well.
- The OMD District Directory needs updated! Who are your congregational leaders, staff and committee chairs for next year? Make sure your congregation's leaders are connected to district news and events. For details....
- You are invited to participate in an exciting new program to determine the future direction of our faith. Gathered Here will help us create a new shared vision. Learn more....
Check out the district website for information about events and resources for your congregation.
OMD Staff Changes
Jan Gartner, our Lifespan Faith Development and Youth Ministries Consultant has resigned as of June 30th to start a new position with the UUA as Professional Development Associate for Religious Education and Music Leaders. Read about her new position here.
To replace Jan, the OMD has worked with the St. Lawrence District to share Karen LoBracco as Consultant for Lifespan Faith Development and to hire Michelle Buhite as intern for Youth, Young Adult and Campus Ministries for 2011-12. You can read about Karen and Michelle and their new positions in this article. They both start on July 1 and will be attending SI. Please welcome them to their new positions with the OMD.
Forms & Registration
Conferences & Trainings
Guest In Your Pulpit
Out of District Events
To allow our staff the time they need to refresh and rejuvenate for the new church year. They will be on vacation during the following dates:
- Beth Casebolt, District Administrator - June 15-20 and June 27-July 1
- Rev. Joan Van Becelaere - July 30-August 14
Please respect their time off. During Joan's time off, please contact Beth at the district office, who can direct you to other staff who will be filling in for urgent matters. During Beth's time off, please contact Joan. Thank you!
Chalice Lighter Call to Benefit UU Congregation, Charleston, WV
The current Chalice Lighter Call benefits the UU Congregation in Charleston, WV in their Gateway to Hospitality Project, which will improve accessibility and repair their parking and entrance areas of their building. Chalice Lighters received this call on May 1st. To learn more and donate, visit the OMD Chalice Lighters Page.
Help others attend district events.
Support our Scholarship Fund and the SI Scholarship Fund.
Registration is now open. Visit www.omdsi.org for details and links. This is the House that UUs Built is the theme for SI 2011. Come join 650 UUs at Kenyon College in Gambier, OH, July 10-16 for fun, fellowship, and even some workshops and worship. Rev. Dr. John Buehrens is our theme speaker, Venerbale Shih Ying-Fa is our young adult speaker and Rev. Alma Crawford and Rev. David McFarland will be the youth speakers. Rev. Susan Ritchie will lead morning worship and Amy Collins, CLL will lead three evening vespers services. Registration fee is no longer waived after June 1.
UU Leadership Team Institute (UULTI)
Interested in expanding your leadership skills for church and beyond? Attend UU Leadership Team Institute! UULTI has been providing a holistic and experiential learning environment for congregational leaders since 2007.
In the summer of 2011, there are three UULTI experiences to choose from including one at Kenyon. UULTI on the Hill will meet at Kenyon College July 7-10 just before Summer Institute. UULTI by the Lake meets July 24-27 in Canadaigua, NY. UULTI by the Sea meets August 18-21 in Ocean Grove, NJ. Learn more at www.cerguua.org/uulti
Young Adult Events
- UUA Youth Project Grant Program - Apply Now! As called for in the Youth Ministry Working Group Recommendations, the UUA has established a grant program for local youth-led projects giving Unitarian Universalist high school age youth opportunities to grow in faith, deepen in spirit, develop skills and offer leadership and service to Unitarian Universalist communities. Grants up to $2,000 will be awarded to youth who pair with an adult advisor in a sponsoring congregation, district or Unitarian Universalist organization. We are accepting applications now, so apply immediately! Deadline to apply for the next round of funding is August 1 - don't delay! Learn how to apply, including sample project ideas, at Youth Project Grants.
- Leadership School - want to attend leadership school? Check out UULTI at www.cerguua.org/uulti. Scholarship are available.
- Youth Enviromental Camp will be held in Glouster, OH, June 19-25, 2011 (this is sponsored by the Athens UU youth group). Learn more...
- You can keep up with Youth News from the UUA by subscribing to their monthly newsletter. Go to: http://www.uua.org/religiouseducation/youth/news/index.shtml
Staff & Consultant Links
Rev. Joan VanBecelaere
Program Consultant for Lifespan Faith Development and Youth Ministries
Rev. Evan Young
Young Adult &
Campus Ministry Consultant
Adjunct Congregational Consultants
For Your Fall Calendar
- OMDUUYAN Family-Friendly Overnight ~ July 30-31, 2011, West Shore UU Church, Rocky River, OH.
- Building a New Way: Leadership for the Next 50 Years. Annual Leadership Day for all congregational leaders and leaders-to-be ~ September 24, 2011, First UU Church, Youngstown, OH
- OMD All -Ages Inter-Generational Con ~ September 17-18, 2011 at First UU Church, Columbus, OH
Webinars & On Demand Learning Center
Are you interested in taking a webinar but aren't sure what is involved? Don't know if you have everything you need? This video will walk you through everything you need to know about taking a webinar from a CERG presenter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IDn7LsrHo
Not able to take one of these workshops at this time? Check out the On-Demand Learning Center, where basic level programs are available for you to explore on your own time schedule. Current programs include Congregational Polity 101, Basic Safety Policies and Tips, and Committees on Ministry. More programs are being developed and will be added soon.
New webinars are being added every day, please check www.cerguua.org/calendars/cergwebinars.html to see what is being offered. Groups are encouraged to share the webinar experience at one location.
- Becoming a UU Evangelist by Rev. Richard Speck ~ June 2, 2011 7:30 pm. To register...
CLF Online Classes
General Assembly Pages
Green Sanctuary Program
Interconnections Tip Sheet
Resources For Lay Leaders
Skinner House Book Resources
Social Justice Action Center
UUA Monthly Congregational Bulletin
Other Resource Links
Mary Grigolia's Song of the Month
Congregational & In-District News
Central East Regional Group News & Events
Did you know ~ That OMD folks are welcome at Joseph Priestley, Saint Lawrence or Metro NY events? Webinars from all four districts are listed on our webinar page. Check the CERG Website to get calendar and flyer links and additional details. Updated information and later events are listed on the CERG Calendar page.
- CERG Ingathering at General Assembly ~ June 22, 2011
- UULTI on the Hill ~ Kenyon College, Gambier, OH ~ July 8-10, 2011
- UULTI on the Lake ~ Notre Dame Retreat Center, Canadaigua, NY ~ July 24-27, 2011
- Jr/Sr High Our Whole Lives Training ~ Murray Grove Conference Center, NJ ~ August 5-7, 2011
- UULTI by the Sea ~ Ocean Grove Retreat Center, Ocean Grove, NJ ~ August 18-21, 2011
- Jr/Sr High Our Whole Lives Training ~ Canadaiqua, NY ~ August 19-21, 2011
- Leading at the Edge ~ May Memorial, Syracuse, NY ~ October 1, 2011
- Repairing the Statue of Liberty: Immigration Conference ~ First Universalist Church of Rochester, NY ~ October 29, 2011
- Defying Gravity: Leadership Day ~ UU Congregation of Shelter Rock, Manhasset, NY ~ November 5, 2011
- Harvest the Power Training ~ Murray Grove Retreat Center ~ November 11-13, 2011
- Elementary Our Whole Lives Training ~ UU Congregation of Shelter Rock, Manhasset, NY ~ Dec. 2-4, 2011
OMD District Office
PO Box 157
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
UUA & National News & Events
- Check out what is new at the UUA bookstore, Beacon Press and Skinner House. Skinner House announces that many of their books are now available as ebooks.
- The UUA is now searching for a Ministerial Credentialing Assistant, Children and Families Program Director, Assistant Manager for Eliot & Pickett Houses, Public Information Assistant, an Interim District Executive for the Pacific Central District, and a Communications Coordinator. Check the UUA website to see descriptions.
- CLF offers a new service called Make Your Own Sundays for $129 a year. Select your theme, readings, children's story, sermon, songs, select holidays, formats or a season. Contact CLF at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-948-6150 for details.