A monthly roundup of news, events, dates and deadlines of the Ohio-Meadville District
In This Issue
- District Assembly 2012
- Stewardship Conference
- Social Justice News & Resources
- RE Resources & News
- Winter Institute
- Leadership Opportunity
- Young Adult Events
- Youth Events
- Webinar Schedule & On-Demand Learning Center
- Congregational & In-District News
- CERG News and Events
- UUA & National News & Events
Welcome to the February edition of OMD Now!. For individual information, flyers and details, click the links in each article. Want to share one of your events with the district congregations? Send it to the OMD Office to be included in the March edition. Deadline is February 25th.
- It is time to certify your congregational membership. Deadline is Feburary 1 - this is firm. Learn more at www.ohiomeadville.org/headlines/267-uuacertification
- The Young Adult Ministry Team is searching for a Videographer and an Adult Training Support Person to assist with the Young Adult Road Show. See the details on the OMD website
- A reminder - if your congregation was full fair share this year, you received 2 certificates to use towards registrations fees of some district events. Don't forget to use them!
- Ministers, SSL colored clergy wear is now available. Learn more at www.almy.com/HotSpotBlank.aspx?HotSpot=SOSA
- The OMD is looking for a volunteer chalice lighter coordinator. Learn more...
Check out the district website for information about events and resources for your congregation.
District Assembly 2012
DA 2012 will take place at Allegheny College, Meadville, PA with the Northwest PA/NY cluster hosting on March 23-24, 2012. Keynote Speaker will be David Owen-O'Quill. Our theme is Growing Branches, Strong Roots: Breaking Boundries. Learn more at www.ohiomeadville.org/program/da. To register...
On Demand Learning Center
Guest In Your Pulpit
OMD Up Close
If I Had a Million Dollars... A Stewardship Workshop
A special stewardship seminar that will focus on this topic, fund-raising in general, and the great importance of building and increasing "legacy giving" in our churches. Saturday, February 11, 2012, 10 am to 3 pm at UU Church of Akron, OH. Hurry, registration deadline is February 5. For details and registration...
Social Justice News & Resources
- The Phoenix Witness Fund was featured in a UU World Article. Read it here. The Phoenix Witness Fund will help OMD members get to Phoenix so they can participate in Justice Assembly 2012. To learn how you can help, visit the OMD website. Scholarship Applications are now available, access them here.
- UUMFE is offering a Facilitation Coaching Webinar for their new curricula on Monday, Feb. 6 at 7 pm. Register...
- To find resources on a variety of Social Justice issues, visit the OMD Social Justice resource page.
RE Resources & News
- UU Identity Renassiance Module will be held at Villa Maria Reteat Center in PA,on April 27-29, 2012. Details and registration coming soon to the OMD website.
- Our Whole Lives Training of Teachers for Jr & Sr High will be held at the UU Church of the South Hills, Pittsburgh, PA on May 18-20, 2012. Registration is now open...
- Spirit Play Training for teachers in the Spirit Play Curricula program will be held at First Unitarian Church of Pittsburgh on June 2, 2012. To learn more...
- See the CERG Events list below for additional training opportunities.
Help others attend district events
Support our Scholarship Fund and the SI Scholarship Fund.
Join us for our annual stress free weekend February 17-20, 2012 at Salt Fork State Park near Cambridge, OH. Registration is now open. Hurry, deadline is January 31.
Are you an experienced congregational leader, minister or religious educator who would like to learn how to train leaders for the Harvest the Power curricula? CERG will be offering a trainer of trainers August 17-19, 2012 in Angola, NY for 15 folks who are interested. Participants must submit an application and a letter of support from their congregation. Details and registration information available on the CERG website.
Young Adult Events
- Congratulations to the Young Adult Ministry Team for earning a grant to underwrite their Young Adult Road Show. Save the Date of March 31-April 1 in the Cleveland area for this exciting new program.
- The Young Adult Ministry Team is searching for a Videographer and an Adult Training Supervisor to assist with the Young Adult Road Show. See the details on the OMD website.
- OMDUUYAN Cabin Con ~ March 11-13, 2012, Valley View Cabins. Hurry Registration Deadline is February 1 at 9 pm! Registration now open...
- OMDUUYAN Spring Con ~ May 18-20, 2012, First UU Society of Marietta, OH. For details and registration...
- Are you a new young adult? Register with the UUA so we can help you make connections at school. www.uua.org/religiouseducation/youngadults/128036.shtml
- You can keep up with Young Adult News from the UUA by subscribing to their monthly newsletter. Go to: www.uua.org/religiouseducation/youngadults/112286.shtml
|If you made a pledge to the Phoenix Witness Project, now is the time to make your first half payment. Learn more at www.ohiomeadville.org/donations/pwp
- YAC SAC Planning Meeting ~ Feb 24-25, 2012, UU Church of Kent, OH. Registration is now open.
- YAC Social Action Conference ~ March 16-18, 2012, First UU Church of Columbus, OH
- YAC Spring Planning Meeting ~ April 20-21, 2012, East Suburban UU Church, Murrysville, PA
- YAC All Age Con ~ May 4-6, 2012, UU Church of Akron, OH
- Youth Work Camp in West Virginia for June 24-30, 2012. Registration is now open at the OMD website.
- You can keep up with Youth News from the UUA by subscribing to their monthly newsletter. Go to: http://www.uua.org/religiouseducation/youth/news/index.shtml
Staff & Consultant Links
Rev. Joan VanBecelaere
Program Consultant for Lifespan Faith Development
Youth, Young Adult &
Campus Ministry Intern
Social Witness Coordinator
Adjunct Congregational Consultants
CERG Webinars & On Demand Learning Center
Not able to take one of these workshops at this time? Check out the On-Demand Learning Center, where basic level programs are available for you to explore on your own time schedule. Current programs include Congregational Polity 101, Basic Safety Policies and Tips, and Committees on Ministry. More programs are being developed and will be added soon.
- Passing the Torch, Leadership Development Blended Class - March-April session now taking registrations. Details and registration
- Youth Ministry 102 series. This series addresses various issues of youth minstry each month and is open to professional and volunteer youth leaders in the Central East Regional Group. The next session is Feb 15 at 7:30 pm and the topic will be Advisor Support and Recruitment. To register and see the rest of the year's schedule...
New webinars are being added every day, please check www.cerguua.org/calendars/cergwebinars.html to see what is being offered.
New CERG Resource - Link2Lead, a new program from CERG, offers demographic information to congregations planning growth and marketing strategies and more. Learn more at the CERG website.
CLF Online Classes
General Assembly Pages
Green Sanctuary Program
Interconnections Tip Sheet
Resources For Lay Leaders
Skinner House Book Resources
UUA Monthly Congregational Bulletin
Other Resource Links
Mary Grigolia's Song of the Month
Congregational & In-District News
Central East Regional Group News & Events
Don't know what CERG is? Check out this video that premiered at GA to find out.
Did you know ~ That OMD folks are welcome at Joseph Priestley, Saint Lawrence or Metro NY events? Webinars from all four districts are listed on the CERG webinar page, event information can be found at the CERG Events page.
- Worship Arts Festival ~ UU Church of Rockville, MD ~ February 24-25, 2012.
- Social Media for Outreach and Ministry ~ UU Church of Silver Springs, MD ~ February 25, 2012.
- JPD Annual Assembly ~ April 13-14, 2012, Key Bridge Marriott, Arlington, VA. Rev. Peter Morales will be the theme speaker.
- SLD District Assembly ~ April 28, 2012
- Metro NY District Assembly ~ May 4-5, 2012
- Multicultural RE Renassiance Module ~ May 15-17, 2012, Carondelet Hospitality Center, Latham, NY
- Women's Spirituality Conference ~ May 18-19, 2012, First UU Society of Syracuse, NY
- Universalist Convention ~ May 18-20, 2012 at Murray Grove UU Retreat Center, NJ
- Sally Patton Training ~ May 19, 2012 at Unitarian Fellowship of West Chester, PA.
- Harvest the Power Training of Trainers ~ August 17-19, 2012, Pioneer Retreat Center, Angola, NY
OMD District Office
Email: [email protected]
PO Box 157
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
UUA & National News & Events
- Gathered Here is featured in a UU World Article. Read it at the UU World website.
- The UUA Moderator Nomination Committee has nominated Jim Key and Tamara Payne-Alex for moderator. Read about the process and the nominees at the UU World website.
- UU-UNO is now accepting sermon submissions for the Dana Greeley Award on Women's Empowerment. Deadline is February 1, 2012. Learn more...
- Check out what is new at the UUA bookstore, Beacon Press and Skinner House. Skinner House announces that many of their books are now available as ebooks.
- The UUA is now searching for a LGBT Ministries Program Coordinator, Ministerial Credentialing Administrator and Housekeeper. Check the UUA website to see descriptions.